Banbury’s been a hot topic for me since I moved here in 2012. The more I explored and settled in, the more I found to write about – the more things I thought people needed to know about this place which seems to fly under the radar in a lot of ways.
At first, this blog seemed a natural place for these pieces – after all, this is Greater Gotham Going Global and what could be more “going global” than a New Yorker moving to Banbury.
But I soon realized that Banbury (as a topic and a place) wasn’t going to stay neatly in a corner of another blog – is started to push itself front and center. So I gave it a Modern Parlance home of its own – The Banburian.
This page will remain devoted to Banbury – useful local links and the like – but previous Banbury posts have all been migrated over there and already, The Banburian features fresh, never seen anywhere else content. I hope you all will continue to enjoy my explorations of Banbury in their new home and also enjoy the wider travel posts continuing here on Greater Gotham goes global., After all, I’m still that New Yorker turned loose on the world and I’m still looking for great places to see, eat, experience and talk about.
Former posts now on The Banburian:
- Vintage Lover’s Guide to Banbury (May 2016)
- Book Mad in Banbury (May 2016)
- Spring Shopping in Banbury (April 2016)
- Banbury Museum News (Feb 2016)
- Who’s Riding What to Where? (Nov 2015)
- BOO! Haunted Banbury (Oct 2015)
- Banbury’s Independent (Shop) Spirit: (April 2015)
- Banbury’s Culinary Surroundings: (April 2015)
- Spring has Sprung in Banbury! (April 2015)
- Grabbing a Bite in Banbury (April 2015)
- Festive, Foodie Banbury (December 2014)
- Banbury’s Foodie Landscape (Nov 2014)
- Bakergirl Bakehouse in Banbury (Nov 2014)
- Bits and Bobs About Banbury (June 2014)
- Boppin’ Around Banbury (Feb 2013)
Annual Highlights on Banbury Events Calendar
- Spring Old Town Party: (Sat May 7, 2016 from 9.30am – 3.30pm) Celebrating the Old Town of Banbury and its unique and independent traders.
- Banbury & District Show (Sun June 12, 2016 from 10.30am – 4.30pm) Set over two fields with fun and entertainment for all the family. Free entry to this showcase of everything you need for a great day out. Held in Spiceball Park.
- Bark in the Park: (Sun July 3rd from 1.00pm – 4.00pm) Banbury goes to the dogs as locals gather with their canine companions. There are experts on hand giving advice on all sorts of pet related topics, demonstrations, competitions and displays. Held in People’s Park.
- Banbury Food Fair: (Sun August 21st from 10.30am – 4.30pm) Over 100 traders are on hand (last year was almost 150) to offer visitors the chance to view, sample and purchase some of the tastiest food and drink in the country. There are cookery demonstrations, live radio broadcasts, entertainment and lots more. Held in conjunction with the Banbury Flower & Produce Show
- Banbury Flower & Produce Show (Sun August 21st from 10.30am – 4.30pm) Alongside the Banbury Food Fair is the annual Flower & Produce Show showcasing the efforts and amazing skills of local growers, bakers and crafters.
- Old Town Summer Party & Street Organ Festival (Sat September 3rd from 9.30am – 3.30pm) Browse and shop your way around the Old Town section of Banbury’s town centre, home to a great selecion of independent traders. There will be street entertainment, costumes, special window displays and once again, Banbury will be filled with the sound of the Street Organ Grinders who will perform throughout the town, raising funds for a charity nominated by Banbury’s Town Mayor.
- Banbury Canal Day (Sun October 2nd from 10.30am – 4.30pm) Set along the Oxford canal which runs through the heart of Banbury, there are canal rides, performers, food stalls, crafters, tradders and demonstrations of all kinds.
|Other Banbury-based Sites
|Digital Publications and Info
Local news and media